Friday, November 9, 2007

Gratitude, Part 3







I was trying to decide what to be grateful for today. Since I’m not putting these in any order necessarily, I could write about anyone or anything in my life, but I think Shane should be next.

Ah, my Shaney, as I like to call him. When they say you should marry your best friend, I know exactly what that means. Years before we were kissing on one another (or even thinking about it, much!), Shane and I were friends. We worked together at a little dive of a copy center in Salt Lake. We flirted like crazy day in and day out. Our favorite thing to do when we were bored was play games with whatever implements were handy. One that sticks out in my mind involved flipping a pen that was positioned on the edge of the copy counter into an awaiting garbage can half a room away. We probably played this game for an hour one day, inviting all our coworkers to join in as they came into the copy center. We also used to sit next to each other on top of this table that was in the back room of the store. He would swing his legs, and I would position myself so that I could kick his foot forward as it swung back. I love thinking about those times together, when we were just friends. He knew me so completely by the time we finally got together that it felt like slipping on an old glove, one that is warm and soft and knows the hand it is enveloping.

Shane and I have so much fun together in this life we have created. He is the best dad, and he never wants to waste a second of the time he has with our boys while they are young. Once he is home from work, he wants to spend time with them, playing and watching movies and teasing and playing the infamous tickle game. I am grateful that he has worked so hard to allow me to be home with my boys 4 of the 7 days of the week. Everything he does, he does for us, and I can never repay him for that. Our boys repay him for that by loving him so much that they never allow him to sleep. Poor Shane spends a lot of nights on the floor or squeezed onto approximately ½ of an inch of the bed due to the fact that three others are sprawled out on the rest of the bed, snoring and twitching and stealing all the covers. My poor sleep-deprived husband!

Shane has taught me to love running. If it weren’t for him, I probably would still hate it. One of my favorite memories is the time we spent together before we had Ben, training for the Salt Lake City Marathon. We spent every Saturday morning for months running together. I loved the talks that we had during these times. Since you are out of breath, you tend to not put a lot of wordiness into the conversation, so we were able to talk about so many things that were important in a very concise manner. I loved finishing that marathon holding his hand, knowing that we had accomplished yet another great feat together. I love him very much, and am so proud of the man that he has become in the nearly 14 years I have known him. I am so grateful to have him be my kids Dad, and he is my partner through this life.



Oh, and I have a hard time getting him to pose for pictures, so here are a few I have managed to get of him with the boys.




At the zoo.

This summer at his Aunt's house.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that a nice cold adult beverage next to me?

I love you with all of me my sweet wife!
You are the coolest.

K. Bitton said...

How cute! I love hearing about other peoples marriages and how it all came to pass!! How fun. Sure do love you guys!

Melanie said...

We think Shane is the greatest! We're so glad to have you guys as our friends.