Sunday, December 23, 2007

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…

I am an anticipation junkie. It’s Christmas Eve-Eve.

Today is one of my favorite days of the year. There are no expectations for Christmas Eve-Eve. You can visit a family member and bring a gift, drop off neighbor goodies, or just finish your Christmas shopping, knowing that it’s not the LAST minute. Today I’ll go to church; I’ve loved singing & listening to all the Christmas music this year. We’ll probably visit Shane’s Grandma a little later, and have time to spend with her without feeling rushed.

In so many ways, I’d rather have it be Christmas Eve-Eve more than the real Christmas Eve. All the excitement, all the expectations are just at your fingertips; if you reach just a little, wait another 24 hours, the real thing is there. But today I get to anticipate all that is ahead of me, and enjoy it.

Yesterday we went to see the lights at Temple Square. It was such a great time. We got there early enough that the lights weren’t even on yet, so we could go to the Visitor’s Center and see the statue of Christ without waiting in a line with 50 billion other people. We looked at the life-size Nativity, and heard the beautiful voices of the Tabernacle Choir sing and the words of Luke 2 immersing us in the birth of Christ. Then we wandered through the Temple Grounds, looking at the lights, the cold frosting our breath and turning Ben and Thomas’ cheeks rosy red. We topped off the evening with dinner at Iggy’s restaurant, our favorite place to eat. It was a peaceful, wonderful night.
Thomas took this picture of Jesus. What a great shot!

Everything is ready. My little sewing projects are done, everything is wrapped and hidden away for the big day. I hope that this is a wonderful Christmas.

But I’m still going to enjoy today, savoring all that excitement that is ahead.

Merry, merry Christmas to everyone. I hope everyone gets to feel the true meaning of Christmas and can celebrate the birth of our Savior. I love Him and am grateful for Him every day of my life.


Shane & BenThomas



The Temple

No comments: