Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I’m using the same end-of year meme I used last year. It is a good summary of the year. I can’t believe it’s almost 2009. The years get faster and faster.

  1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before? Played in two piano recitals.

  2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I worked at my new year’s resolution all year, but I think I’ll keep it for next year too.

  3. Did anyone close to you give birth? New babies in 2008? Let me count the ways. There were 4 babies on my street born. My friends Melanie and Ginger had babies. My niece Kayci had a baby. I guess 2008 was the year to have a baby, they seemed to come at me from left, right and center.
  4. Did anyone close to you die? A couple of old acquaintances died this year. It was strange to know of people in my generation have already passed on. I felt very bad for both of these acquaintances children; it is terrible to lose a parent.
  5. What countries did you visit? Seriously? I didn’t even leave the state this year. But I’m pretty sure I’m going to Idaho soon, so I’ll at least get to leave in 2009.
  6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? More vacations, but not because I lacked them. We actually had 2, which is a record for us. But I hope to ride on an airplane. Man, that makes me sound about 3 years old, doesn’t it?
  7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? September 15, the day my dad went into a rest home. Sad, sad, sad. But necessary.
  8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Um, my Costco card…the smoking deal I got on Shane’s razor for Christmas…that we went on two family vacations without any arguments. All great accomplishments in my book.
  9. What was your biggest failure? The bangs I cut bangs in my hair for the first time in 14 years. Yeah, they’ve grown out since; it’s too much time to dry them & curl every day. I’m still a ponytail girl at heart, remember.
  10. Did you suffer illness or injury? My sciatic nerve has been driving me nuts for months. It is the most annoying thing I’ve ever known!
  11. What was the best thing you bought? Mascara that doesn’t smudge. Thanks, Estee Lauder!
  12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Thomas for learning to play the piano, and Ben for learning to write his name. Both accomplishments that rate high in my book.
  13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? We have family members that we haven’t talked to in almost 3 years. It makes me mad whenever I realize how much time has gone by without any progress in the situation, and how much both sides are losing out on. Sad, sad, sad.
  14. Where did most of your money go? Groceries, I’m sure.
  15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Learning to play the piano.
  16. What song will always remind you of 2008? Songs from Mamma Mia. I can’t hear “Lay all your love on me,” “Voulez-vous?” and “Does your mother know?” without remembering all the good runs I had listening to them during this year.
  17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Much happier, richer, nicer. I hope I’m nicer (but I always TRY to be nice); pretty happy already, and, well, not much richer. But not much poorer, either.
  18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Eating at Café Rio. But wait, we eat there 2 or 3 times a month; could I have done it???

  19. What do you wish you'd done less of? McDonalds. I don’t need it, my kids don’t need it. But sometimes it’s so good!
  20. How did you spend Christmas? Being grumpy and driving in snow. Not my favorite Christmas ever.

  21. Did you fall in love in 2009? Yes, with Mamma Mia, both the movie and the soundtrack.
  22. How many one-night stands? Only a few with my husband. ;)
  23. What was your favorite TV program? I love Grey’s and Lost, but we started watching 30 Rock, which is one of the most clever shows I’ve ever seen.
  24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? No. I don’t think I hate anyone.
  25. What was the best book you read this year? Hard question. I can’t say one, so I’ll say Atonement, Hunger Games, and People of the Book. I also listened/read the whole New Testament for the first time. It taught me so much, I really enjoyed it. I listened to a lot of commentary off of the BYU website, which made a lot of it more understandable. Remember, I quite seminary in 11th grade, and I’m a jackmormon at heart, so, yeah. At least I got through it. Some of those epistles of Paul bored me to tears. Revelations was pretty cool, though.
  26. What was your greatest musical discovery? The Mamma Mia soundtrack. I’m also really starting to like Cold Play. But I heard Chris Martin is leaving once he turns 33, so maybe I won’t like them for much longer.
  27. What did you want and get? A new camera that fits in my pocket. It doesn’t take the best pictures, but I can take it with me wherever. You give a little, you take a little.
  28. What was your favorite film of this year? Mamma Mia. I sound like a broken record.
  29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 33. Shane and I and the boys went up the canyon for a picnic and hike. It was fun!


  30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Same as always, but I did start wearing makeup. Not doing so well on doing the hair on work days; I cut 8 inches off almost a month ago and haven’t worn it down so no one knows.
  31. What kept you sane? Running. Which I haven’t done in weeks in hopes that my sciatic or whatever nerve it is that is hurting will stop. It’s making me feel ugly and fat and depressed. And my leg still hurts, so I guess I should go back to running. At least the rest of me felt better even if my leg hurt more!!
  32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I can’t say any of them. I really like Sawyer from Lost a LOT, but that’s been true for years. He’s hotttt!
  33. What political issue stirred you the most? I’m so not political, so I can’t say anything did. I was glad when the election was over and someone won. I didn’t care who because I didn’t like either of them.
  34. Who did you miss? My dad. Especially when he’s right in front of me. At least when I’m not with him, I can pretend he’s better than he is.
  35. Who was the best new person (people) you met? I really liked “meeting” all the people in my SDBBE book exchange. I guess technically I didn’t meet them all, but reading 1,200+ pages with the same group of people tends to make you feel like you know a person.
  36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008: I learned that prayers are answered. I learned that God helps you do things that you think you can’t.
  37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: Can't think of any.

4 comments:

Ginger said...

Gotta hate that sciatic nerve! Happy New Year!

Thomas Family said...

I love the picture of you and Shane, it is so cute!! Good one of both of you!!

Lucy said...

Your meme is longer than mine. Oh well. At least I didn't have to give up how many one night stands I had;-)

Happy New Year, Becky! I'm sure you are heading towards an equally fantastic 2009.

Jeanette said...

This was so much fun to read.

I might have to give it a go as well.

Sorry you are in pain, both your leg and your heart. I know it's heartbreaking to watch your dad go through this.