Thursday, December 8, 2011

Not feeling it...

 

So, my tree is up. I've got garland going down my railing, holiday-scented soap in the kitchen, and lots of tiny Christmas lights to make rooms in my house glow-ey. But I'm not feeling the Christmas spirit yet.

I spent all of November looking backward to my Dad and his passing. I felt nostalgic and grateful in alternating and equal amounts all month. But now that it's Christmas, I'm waiting to feel something - nostalgia, excitement, sadness, something, anything without any success. I've tried; I decorated. I've been reading various beloved Christmas books with my kids each night. I play Christmas music whenever I can remember to turn it on. It isn't for lack of trying.

So I'm turning to you. What do you do to feel Christmas? Not just the shopping and the business and the stress. What activities or traditions make your heart of hearts say, "It's Christmas!"?


2 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

I hear you, sister. I've done everything and I still feel all...blah. Perhaps Ineed to have the proverbial "You're spending way too much money" argument with my husband and THEN I'll feel it? I don't know. I hope someone else has the answer!

Isabel said...

I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling the spirit of Christmas.

We went to the Christmas Devotional at Temple Square last Sunday. The words of the First Presidency were perfect. Did you watch it? If not, I highly recommend you do.