Wednesday, July 25, 2007

First Day!


So today was Thomas' first day of first grade. It is amazing to me that he is so big; that somehow, that little person that we got to bring home from the hospital, who was so helpless, is now able to eat lunch in a cafeteria with his friends with no parent in sight. That he has a life away from me and our house that includes places and people and things that I don't experience with him, but hear about later.

I stayed home from work this morning so I could be there when he got on the bus. Last year, his best friend Chandler was in afternoon kindergarten, so they were never on the bus together. So today Chandler was there at the bus stop, and I was so glad that at least they get to be on the bus and play at recess together. Poor Thomas has such a nerdy mom: I insisted on getting a picture of him with all his friends at the bus stop. One day, those boys and girls in the picture who seemed so big in my eyes today will be tiny replicas of the tweens and teens they will grow up to be. Soon Ben will have his "firsts" and then, in what will seem like a heartbeat, they will be grown and I will be looking back at these days. I hope that I can treasure them, and savor each moment of them growing up. Because if the past 6 years have gone this fast, I can only imagine how fast the next 6 will go.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I can't believe it! I found a picture the other day of Shane & John holding all of the kids just after Carter was born. That wasn't long ago, but the kids look tiny. Time really does fly! I'm terrified of the day that I have to let go of control and send Katelyn to school, just praying that she'll make the right choices.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I can leave a comment now! I have a picture of Haley on the last day of school in second grade, all lined up with the kids she used to walk to school with then. Looking at it now, just five years later, is amazing. So you are definitely right...those pictures are precious and important!

K. Bitton said...

Well, I don't know what 6 years is like but I do know what 17 months is like and I can't believe that! So I am sure 6 years from now I will feel the same way! :) By the way I am very exctited that you now have a blog!! Now we can keep in touch better. Good to read about your experiences! I will see you on Friday at lunch! I am excited! :) Love ya!
-Kayci