Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Is this normal?

I have a confession to make. I love my OB/GYN. Seriously, he is the greatest man ever. I even named Ben after him (Ben’s middle name is Scott, which is my doctor’s first name). Yesterday I went to visit Scott (I’ll leave his last name out, don’t want to put to much info out there!) for that fun visit us girls get to have. I was so excited and yet sad to walk into the office; the last time I went there, I was there for my post-partum visit after I had Ben. I love being pregnant, love to go to my doctor visits, and so to visit that office, knowing I was only going for “that” kind of visit tore at my heart. I willingly waited for the doctor to return from delivering a baby, knowing that it had taken me 2 ½ years to finally come back, and that the likelihood of me stealing away at a later date was slim to none.

I happily waived at Scott, who was sitting in his office, on my way to the examination room. When he came in to see me, he gave me a hug and told me he loved me (seriously!) and I told him back. He asked about me, and how I am, how my life with Shane and the boys is, and just talked and listened with such an air of caring that I felt completely at home (amazing, given the fact I was only wearing paper!). He told me what a good guy he thinks Shane is, and went on to ask what we have been doing this summer, filling me in on bits of his life and interests. He even remembered me as having insurance issues (long, long story, for another day!) and made sure that my insurance would cover the visit, offering to only charge me for the labs if the visit wasn’t covered. Seriously! He didn’t even ask me the dreaded question, the question I thought would be his first, the question that is the eternal question in my life: “So, when are you going to have another baby?” It didn’t come up until late in the visit, and then it was so that I could answer without much emotional anguish.

I’m not sure that this reaction to a gyn visit is normal, but it was what I got to experience yesterday. The love and warmth I felt from this visit left me feeling so comforted, so blessed to have a doctor who cares so much for his patients. I left feeling lighthearted, and a bit sad that I wouldn’t see him for another year (I really shouldn’t let those things go, I resolve to go each year from now on!)

3 comments:

K. Bitton said...

I think I will go to your Ob now! :) That's great that you like him so much. I have loved my ob until he just got a second doctor in his office(he is getting old), and he is kind of different. Anyway if you would like to know the details I can write you an e-mail. But I don't know what I am going to do after this pregnancy. Plus we will be moving and so I have to get another ob. I am not looking forward to getting used to another doctor. But your doctor sure sounds great! :) It was sure good to see you guys when I was there. Love ya Beck.

Melanie said...

Your OB sounds awesome! I'm glad that you got to have such a good experience. What great motivation to get your annual exams!

Anonymous said...

I don't have as great a relationship with my OB as you do, but I still don't mind going. To me, there is just something about being taken care of, even in "THAT" special way. And you know I know about the baby thing...hugs.