Monday, October 8, 2007

Woman to Woman


Book Review: Garden Spells, by Sarah Addison Allen .




I picked Garden Spells to review because, well, it’s the most recent book I’ve finished! But I don’t think I could have planned to have a better book to review.

Claire and Sydney are both Waverly’s. The Waverly’s lost their “money” generations ago, and all they have as a legacy is a beautiful old house and a magical apple tree that shows people the most significant event in their life, be it good or bad. Claire has always been proud to be a Waverly, but Sydney spent her whole life trying to distance herself from her family and its oddities. She runs away from home and doesn’t return for 10 years, when she finds herself and her 5 year old daughter in a situation that is lethal.

Claire meanwhile has spent her life trying to feel that she truly belongs in the life she has chosen. She uses the edible flowers and herbs that grow in her magical garden to her advantage by starting a catering business. She is able to add certain ingredients to her food that inspire love, forgiveness, passion, despair. Then a man comes along who seems to be immune to the magic of her garden, but highly susceptible to the magic of Claire. Throw in an aunt with the ability to give “presents” to people that they will need hours or days in the near future, and you’ve got the recipe for a wonderful, magical book that is a delight to read.

One of my favorite aspects of the book was that it reminded me of the movie version of Practical Magic, which was based on the book by Alice Hoffman. Allen’s writing style brings some of the same aspects of the magic of nature and plants, enhancing her books in a way that makes them memorable. Garden Spells is really a fast read, and the characters are so warm and real and funny that I couldn’t help but love it. I would recommend this to just about anyone, because it appeals on so many levels.

6 comments:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

This is another one I'm not familiar with, I'll have to check it out.

Gran said...

This book I have seen but haven't read. It sounds like it would be a interesting read.

Thanks for sharing your review with our woman to woman group today.

Have a wonderfull day filled with love and laughter.

Angela

Tigersue said...

Thanks for the review. I will look for it. :)
This has been so fun, I have yet to find a review on something I have read, (other than the one mention of twilight on another post. ;))

Lei said...

Sounds magical! Thanks for pointing it out!

Montserrat said...

It's so much fun finding new books to add to my reading list. This looks like a good one!

Zoe said...

Ohhh, this one really sounds great! I am going to check it out for sure! I love anything that has to do with magical spells. :)