Sunday, July 27, 2008

And the view from the top is great.

So, we hiked Timpanogas yesterday. By "we" I mean Shane, me, our friend John, and his son Tanner. It was great. I love this hike. I love looking at the mountain in the morning and thinking, in a few hours I'll be on top. I love looking down at Utah, Salt Lake, and Summit Counties, and counting all the lakes. I love seeing the mountain change from this solid stone ediface to a crumbling tower of shale dotted with lichen. I love seeing the people coming up and down the trail, all giving a greeting and a sweaty but friendly smile.
But I love making the memory of hiking this mountain each year. The first was with my sister Amy. It was probably one of my favorite days in my life. I talked with her the way you can only talk with a sister. We seriously never shut up the entire day, and it took us over 9 hours. The next year, I hiked it with my two best friends, Shane and Melanie. We laughed and joked the whole time; well, at least the whole time when we weren't being rained on. I loved being with them on their first trip up the mountain. I loved being with them both at the top, even though it was freezing cold, huddled next to the shack eating peanut butter sandwiches and fruit leather.
This year's hike was just as memorable. I liked watching Tanner push himself through the hike. I was so impressed with his determination; he did great, and he's only 12 years old. I liked laughing with John and Shane on the trail, and seeing them on top together, two friends who have been together for many years. I liked running through the "meadow" with Shane; we had gotten behind, so when we reached the relatively flat basin below Timp's peaks, we ran to catch up. Running at over 9000 feet gives it's own rewards. I liked when we reached the bottom, and we washed our feet off in the cold mountain faucet, our feet and legs slowly changing back to white from muddy brown.
It was a great day. I am so glad to add another great memory of Timp to the other two. Thanks to Melanie, who was our chauffer for the day, and our savior by bringing us cold gatorades. Now, here are some pics:
Shane & I at the beginning. I'm already sweaty!
John & Tanner
Early on, you cross and recross the water from these falls. It's one of my favorite spots.

As you reach the Meadow. This is the snowfield. It is really steep! I was amazed at how much snow is still there this late in the summer.

Looking down on where we started. Beautiful!
The four of us from the saddle.
Looking up at the Summit. This is a hard section, but so worth it!
Looking down on Emerald Lakes at the base of the snow field. Another of my favorite views.
Looking east from the summit. You can see the top of the snowfield, and smoke rising from a fire near Bridle Veil Falls.


Shane & me at the top.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I've never hiked Timpanogos. It's on my to-do list :) It looks beautiful!

Ginger said...

Very nice pics! We did that about a year ago. It is tough, but worth it. Looks like you had fun.

Amy Sorensen said...

Color me jealous! Maybe next year I'll make it again. I'm so glad it went well for you!

K. Bitton said...

What a neat experience! I want to do that one day. Right now it's hard to remember what it feels like not to be pregnant...maybe one day I will be able to get back in shape again! :) I sure miss you. We'll be down on the 16th and we are going to the Zoo, maybe you guys would want to come too?

Melanie said...

Cute pictures! I enjoyed reliving last year's hike while John told me about this year's. I wish I had been able to do it with you, but I was glad to be just a small part of it.