Monday, July 18, 2011

100 years.

My Grandma, who was known on this earth as Florence, but was called "Flossie", is 100 years old today.

Oh, how I wish she were still with us.  There are just so many things I want to say about her, so I'm going to.

  • She loved babies.  And kitties and puppies and anything little.  And they always loved her back.
  • She was kind.
  • Her fingers had the softest, squishiest pads on them.  I could play with the softness that was her hands for hours.
  • One day, she took me to the dentist.  They told me that I couldn't eat for a half-hour afterward, so we went to her house and I watched Sesame Street. 
  • Another day, we moved the furniture around in her house so we could vacuum her living room floor.  She kept telling me how strong I was and what a good helper I was to move the furniture with her.  I felt so strong and happy making her house clean.
  • She loved to shop at Ream's. And she could never turn down the ice-cream counter at the front of the store.
  • She liked to eat hamburgers at Wendy's.  I can still remember how good felt to eat a hamburger with my grandma.
  • Our house had a hummingbird feeder in the kitchen window.  During the summer, when we would invite her to dinner, she would always sit with her back to the window.  I can remember exclaiming over the hummingbirds that would come to eat and her always turning around too slowly and missing the hummingbirds.
  • She lived with us for a while.  She had a caretaker person come during the day.  One day, she locked the caretaker in the closet.  I have no idea how she did this, but it makes me giggle a little.
  • During her bout with Alzheimer's, she did some interesting things.  She one day told my mom in a clandestine conversation that that "man" who was there all day was a "mean boss."  That mean boss was my dad.  I find this sweet and sad at the same time.
  • I used to make her tickle my arms and legs for hours while we sat on her living room couch.
  • When I would sleep over at my grandma and grandpa's house, I would sleep in a roll away bed they put between their beds.  I would have to stifle giggles when they would fart, because I was scared that they would think I was rude (because they didn't laugh at the farts.  But I couldn't help myself.) 
  • The roll away bed was always covered in a quilt my grandma's mom, Amy, had made.  My sister Amy now has that lovely quilt, and my mom has the sewing machine it was made on.  (I have a different, unfinished quilt made by my other great-grandma and her sewing machine.  I love the symmetry of it!)
  • She lived with Alzheimer's for 7 long years, and passed away when I was 15.
I could go on and on.  I miss her so much.  I can't wait for the reunion we will have one day.

Happy Birthday, Grandma.  I love you.

1 comment:

Amy Sorensen said...

Awww...I love this post! I didn't know she was 100 but I did think about her on her birthday.

Funny: my hamburger memories of grandma are at McDonald's and also that little drug store that used to be in downtown Provo. But I do have the same memory of how much she loved a good hamburger!

I miss her too.

Also. Mom told me that Grandma didn't officially have Alzheimer's. Her carotid artery was clogged so she had dementia due to lack of blood flow to her brain. The results of course are the same...but what she had then could be fixed now.