Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday the 13th. Part Whatever.

I've never ever seen a Friday the 13th (or really any scary movie. A brief encounter with a TV broadcast of The Exorcist when I was 8 cured me of any desire to ever watch horror flicks. But that is beside the point.) I'm pretty sure they tell the story of Jason and his hockey mask and how they terrorize people. And somehow this has to do with Friday the 13th. People hate Friday the 13ths. Bad joo joo.

So, in spite of all the bad karma associated with today, it still started out better than I ever could imagine. The proof:
  • It was my first day off after my kids went back on track. I sent them off to school this morning with a kiss on the head and the solo drinking of my hot chocolate while surfing the internet in my heart.
  • I got back in my bed for a lovely 20 minutes and cuddled with the cat. I never actually fell asleep, but taking a little break in my cozy bed is something I love more than cheese curds.
  • I had 3 loads of laundry washed, dried, and hung up before noon.
  • I did a 600 rep workout on Bodyrock.tv. 
  • I swept and mopped not just the kitchen, but also the entryway (something I do very, very rarely.)
  • After Shane came home for lunch, I cleaned the downstairs bathroom, hung up the last few clothes in the drier, and started another load of towels to wash.
  • I mailed my last SDBBE book from the previous round. Apryl, you can expect your book next week - wahoo!!
I would take any of these events on a Friday. Most times, I am barely starting them as the kids walk in the door from early day at school. As a little treat, I stopped at the 7-11 and got my very first Vanilla Coke since Mardi Gras. It tasted wonderful. I picked up the kids from school so they didn't have to walk home in the cold wind and rain. Great day, right?

But then, I went to Sam's Club so I could get my eyes checked and buy a pizza for dinner. Just as I walked outside, this happened.

In case you can't tell, the flip flop on the left is broken. It is nearly impossible to walk in broken flip flops. You can't put the strap between your toes and walk. And you can't really slide the flip flop along the floor in an attempt to keep the shoe on through pressure. It just doesn't work.

So, today really was Friday the 13th. Because my flip flop broke. And, oh, yeah, my husband lost his job. Broken flip flops, no job, no bueno. I don't think Jason in a hockey mask comes remotely close to that.

4 comments:

Britt said...

Crap, Becky! I'm really sorry about the job. I hope something wonderful comes along right away!!

And the flip flop thing is pretty crappy, too!

Ginger said...

Soooooo sorry about the flip flop.























Oh and your husband's job. Really, I'm sorry.

Apryl said...

LAME! That just sucks. I hope something amazing comes along quickly.

Lucy said...

Oh no! That’s awful. I’m so sorry. I hope the search and unemployment is short and as painless as possible. I was really enjoying your post until the end:-(