Sunday, November 14, 2010

Gratitude 12: Sick day

I missed church today. I think it one of only a handful I've missed all year.  I've had a stupid cold all weekend and I felt awful when I woke up, so I declared it a free day.  My children were very concerned around 11:30 when I seemed to be feeling better. They didn't want my sudden good health to result in their having to go to church.  Punks.

But we had a good day.  I made manicotti for the first time in forever (manicotti was the only thing I came into my marriage knowing how to make.  It was my one claim to fame.  I'm pretty sure Shane is glad I've gotten more talents in the kitchen.) My kids even ate their dinner willingly and didn't complain about it.  We were done eating and cleaned up by 6:30 when we ran to the store for a few things.  I decided that what was in order was to sit in the tub, drink orange juice, and read The Elegance of the Hedgehog.  Which, after 120 pages I am starting to really get into.

So today I'm grateful for sick days.  For sitting inside a cozy house while it snows, warm and comfortable.  And while I don't often skip out on church, it's fun to do sometimes.

What is your favorite way to spend a sick day?

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

You'll have to let me know how hedgehog turns out. I would really love to know.

I spent my sick day on the couch, burried in three boys, watching Iron Man but at least they were entertained and stationary, not tearing my house apart =0)

Get feeling better soon!